Our Favorite Sites
- Biological Control: A Guide to Natural Enemies in North America, Cornell University.
- IPM and Biological Control in Florida, Concepts of IPM and Biological Control, a site dedicated to the Delivery of IPM and Biological Control Information and Technology.
- In an effort to direct individuals to outstanding sites containing information on the insects, mites and nematodes that the personnel of the University of Florida Entomology and Nematology Department work with, and to reward those individuals and organizations that are contributing significantly to the knowledge of entomology and nematology available on the World Wide Web (WWW), they have created the University of Florida "Best of the Bugs" WWW site award (no longer active).
- Biological Control News (formerly Midwest Biological Control News Online) Midwest Biological Control News is a monthly newsletter dedicated to providing information on the use of beneficial organisms for controlling insect and mite pests of the farm, garden, and home. The newsletter is compiled and published at the University of Wisconsin.
- IPM North Carolina The North Carolina Extension program has developed a new webiste devoted to IPM.
- Biological Control Virtual Information Center Biological control organizations, databases, and web sites around the world, sponsored by the Center for Integrated Pest Management and the Consortium for International Crop Protection, as part of the National IPM Network.
- Bt corn and European corn borer, North Central Regional Research Project (NC-205), Ecology and Management of European corn borer and other stalk boring Lepidoptera, NCR Ext. Publ. 602, authors, Ostlie et. al. 1997.
- Center for Urban Ecology and Sustainability CUES is an interdisciplinary program at the University of Minnesota with participants from the Colleges of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Sciences; Biological Sciences; Natural Resources and Landscape Architecture.
- Entomology on World Wide Web: Lou Bjostad at Colorado State University provided key links to entomological resources on the web (links no longer available).
- Featured Creatures: Great insect pictures, with new creatures featured every month
Project Leader: Thomas R. Fasulo, University of Florida.
- Information Systems for Biotechnology, Agbiotech Online Information on agricultural and environmental biotechnology research, product development, regulatory issues, and biosafety. This service is supported by a grant from USDA/CSREES to Virginia Tech. ISB is administered by USDA's National Biological Impact Assessment Program (NBIAP).
- Integrated Pest Management at Iowa State IPM page maintained by John VanDyk. This one is a must!
- IPM and Biological Control in Florida, Concepts of IPM and Biological Control, site dedicated to the Delivery of IPM and Biological Control Information and Technology.
- Plant & Insect Parasitic Nematode Home Page Everything you ever wanted to know about neamtodes from the Department of Plant pathology, University of Nebraska.
- Society of Nematologists
- The Pesticide Management Education Program at Cornell University
- The Public and Pesticides: Exploring the Interface, Perceptions of Pesticides, Pros and Cons, by Chuck Curtis, Department of Plant Pathology, The Ohio State University, with funding from NAPIAP, USDA.
- The Tree of Life. Brothers Dave and Wayne Maddison, systematic biologists at the University of Arizona, are creating "the most worthwhile thing on the web" (Science 1996: 273 (5275) 568-570. Don't miss this one.
- University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Project UC IPM on-line resources, microcomputer software and databases, publications, slide sets and videos, training programs and much more.
- VegEdge: Vegetable IPM Resource for the Midwest, University of Minnesota Extension Service
- Veterinary Entomology Expert Systems Richard C. Axtell, Emeritus Professor of Veterinary Entomology at North Carolina State University, has created a site for the downloading of veterinary entomology software. There are presently three great items: two expert systems, PPES (poultry) and IPES (livestock), and a simulation model of housefly management.
- Introductory Entomology and Study Modules on Insect Morphology, University of Alberta, instructors Bev Mitchell and Andrew Keddie.
- Developed by entomologists at Purdue University, these noncredit courses provide the latest in Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices with the flexibility working professionals need. In addition to correspondence, several of the courses are now available online. You may enroll anytime and study whenever and wherever you choose.
- The University of Connecticut IPM Program is offering online courses. The courses are tuition-free, non-credit, self-correcting tutorial-type courses.
- National Biological Information Infrastructure, was an awesome site maintained by the U.S. Department of the Interior and U.S. Geological Service. The mission of BRD is to provide the scientific understanding and technologies needed to support the sound management and conservation of our Nation's biological resources.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biotechnology Website
- Centers for Disease and Control Prevention (CDC)
- Health Topics A to Z
- Division of Infectious Diseases
- Arborviral Encephalitides
- Chagas disease (American trypanosomiasis)
- Lyme Disease (Borrelia burgdorferi Infection)
- West Nile Disease, Fight the Bite! podcast transcript (PDF)
- Dengue Fever & Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever
- Yellow Fever
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture
- California School IPM Program
- National Biological Impact Assessment Program (NBIAP) Information Systems for Biotechnology (ISB), information on agricultural and environmental biotechnology research, product development, regulatory issues, and biosafety.
- National Genetic Resources Information Network (GRIN) The Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) web server provides germplasm information about plants, animals, microbes and invertebrates within the National Genetic Resources Program of the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Agricultural Research Service (ARS).
- National USDA Regional IPM Centers
- NSF Center for Integrated Pest Management
CIPM has positioned itself as a provider of unbiased IPM knowledge and technology. The increased importance of food security and invasive species had led to a close working relationship between CIPM and a number of federal agencies, including USDA/CSREES. USDA APHIS, USDA Risk Management Agency and Homeland Security.
- National PLANTS Database The PLANTS Database provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories. It includes names, plant symbols, checklists, distributional data, species abstracts, characteristics, images (30,000+), crop information, automated tools, onward Web links, and references. This page provides a series of electronic forms from which you may access the National PLANTS Database of the United States Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Northern Prairie Wildlife Center, This Internet site of the U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey emphasizes topics and data pertinent to the North American Great Plains.
- State Partners of the Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service This section of the USDA, NIFA homepage provides convenient access all the land-grant universities.
- The National Agricultural Library, Part of ARS/USDA, is one of four National Libraries in the United States. NAL is a major international source for agriculture and related information. This Web site provides access to NAL's many resources and a gateway to its associated institutions.
- United States Department of Agriculture, In 1862--President Abraham Lincoln founded the U.S. Department of Agriculture "the people's department." In Lincoln's day 90 percent of the "people" were farmers. Today, USDA continues Lincoln's legacy by serving all Americans--the 2 percent of our Nation who farm as well as everyone who eats food, wears clothes, lives in a house, or visits a rural area or a national forest.
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- Cooperative States Research, Extension and Educuation Service (CSREES), replaced by the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA)
- Forest Service (FS)
- National Agricultural Library (NAL)
- Natural Resources and Conservation Service (NRCS)
- Economic Research Service (ERS)
- Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)
- Graduate School, USDA
- National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS)
- USDA Agencies and Staff Offices
- NAPIS PestTracker, the public access web site of the National Agricultural Pest Information System (NAPIS), the agricultural pest tracking database of the US Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) Cooperative Agricultural Pest Survey (CAPS).
- Crop Life America
Representing the companies that produce, sell, and distribute virtually all the active compounds used in crop protection chemicals registered for use in the United States.
- American Society of Crop Consultants
The specific purpose of ASAC is to foster the science of agricultural consulting in all its varied fields; to promote the profession and maintain high standards under which the members conduct their service to the public; hold meetings for the exchange of ideas and the study of the profession of agricultural consulting; and maintain a Code of Professional Ethics in the broad field of agricultural consulting.
- Crop Data Management Services, Inc. CDMS, Inc. provides software service to access crop protection product label, MSDS, WPS and DOT information. MSDS Supporting Manufacturers (addresses and links to web pages).
- Get Set, Inc. "What the bugman does not want you to know" (An Intelligent Pest Management Manual) by Stephen L. Tvedten.
- Pest Management at the Crossroads. This WWW site was maintained as a public service and an experiment in electronic networking by Benbrook Consulting Services. "Return to the Stone-Age of Management" presentation to EPA Public Meeting on "Plant Pesticides Resistance Management" "Pest Management at the Crossroads", presentation at USDA Integrated Pest Management Seminar Series "Indicators of the Sustainability and Impacts of Pest Management Systems", presented at AAAS 1997 Annual Meeting.
- National Alliance of Independent Crop Consultants (NAICC), founded in 1978, is the national society of agricultural professionals who provide research and advisory services to clients for a fee. The 500+ members work from bases in 40 states and several foreign countries, and have expertise in the production of most crops grown around the world.
- StratKirn Business Consulting, Offering consulting services in R&D management, and in market assessment, for clients who create innovative new technology in the fields of food, feed and fiber improvement.
- Kimball Nill's Glossary of Biotechnology Terms
- Monsanto's Biotechnology Knowledge Center
- Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada's Electronic Information Service (ACEIS)
- Atlantic Cool Climate Crop Research Centre (St. John's)
- Crops and Livestock Research Centre (Charlottetown - Nappan)
- Atlantic Food and Horticulture Research Centre (Kentville, Nova Scotia)
- Potato Research Centre (Fredericton, New Brunswick)
- Soils and Crops Research and Development Centre (Quebec, Quebec)
- Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre (Lennoxville, Quebec)
- Horticulture Research and Development Centre (Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu)
- Food Research and Development Centre (Saint-Hyacinthe)
- Eastern Cereal and Oilseed Research Centre (Ottawa)
- Food Research Program (Guelph)
- Southern Crop Protection and Food Research Centre (London - Vineland, Delhi)
- Greenhouse and Processing Crops Research Centre (Harrow)
- Brandon Research Centre
- Saskatoon Research Centres (Melfort - Scott)
- Semiarid Prairie Agricultural Research Centre (Swift Current - Indian Head)
- Lethbridge Research Centre (Kamloops)
- Lacombe Research Centre (Beaverlodge)
- Pacific Agri-food Research Centre (Summerland - Agassiz)
- CABI International
An intergovernmental organization providing information, publishing and scientific services worldwide to agriculture, forestry, human health and management of natural resources.
- Centre de Cooperation Internationale en Recherche Agronomique pour le Developpement
CIRAD is a French research organization that specializes on agriculture in the tropics and subtropics.
- Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research
The CGIAR is jointly sponsored by the World Bank, the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). International research centers (IARCS), supported by the CGIAR, are located in 12 developing and 3 developed countries.
- Africa Rice Center (WARDA)
- CIAT - Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical
- CIFOR - Center for International Forestry Research
- CIMMYT - Centro Internacional de Mejoramiento de Maiz y Trigo
- CIP - Centro Internacional de la Papa
- ICARDA - International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
- ICRISAT - International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
- IFPRI - International Food Policy Research Institute
- IITA - International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
- ILRI - International Livestock Research Institute
- IRRI - International Rice Research Institute
- IWMI - International Water Management Institute
- World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF)
- WorldFish Center
- CSIRO, Ecosystem Sciences Government of Australia, Entomological Research.
- European Initiative for Agricultural Research for Development
- European and Mediterranean Plant Protection Organization
EPPO is an intergovernmental organization responsible for European cooperation in plant health. Its objectives are to protect plants, to develop international strategies against the introduction and spread of dangerous pests and to promote safe and effective control methods. As a Regional Plant Protection Organization, EPPO also participates in global discussions on plant health organized by FAO and the IPPC Secretariat.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- World Agricultural Information Center (WAICENT) Portal
- Historic version of GPPIS
- Gateway to On-Line IPM Resources
CICP, NYAES, Geneva, Integrated Plant Protection Center (IPPC), are jointly developing an Internet/WWW-based information retrieval/referral system
- Global Potato News
A potato newsletter developed and maintained in association with World Potato Congress Inc. Global Potato News is your "source for on-line potato information.
- GTZ Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Technische Zusammenarbeit (GTZ) GmbH
GTZ is active worldwide in over 130 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the transition countries in eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent States, and has its own offices in 67 countries with the Head Office in Eschborn, Germany, offer administrative and technical support to 2,700 projects in 135 partner countries.
- Hooper Virtual Paleontological Museum Created by Ken Hooper, Department of Earth Sciences, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada.
- INRA, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
The mission of INRA to guarantee French consumers high-quality food, ensure that agricultural and agro-food companies are competitive, and contribute to integrated land development and sustainable management of natural resources.
- XXIII International Congress of Entomology 2008 (ICE2008), Durban, South Africa, 6-11 July.
Congress Theme: "Celebrating Entomology: Contributions to Modern Science"
This site is supported by the Institute of Plant Protection of the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (IPP,CAAS), the Institute of Biological Control (IBC,CAAS), the The State Key Laboratory for Biology of Plant Diseases and Insect Pests (SKLBPI), and the China Society of Plant Protection (CSPP) and the Academic Division of Plant Protection, China Agricultural University.
The European Group for Integrated Pest Management in Development Cooperation, is a network for coordinating European support for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in research and development.
- IPMnet NEWS
Global IPM Information Service, sponsored, produced, and provided by the Consortium for International Crop Protection. Helping to foster IPM worldwide.
- Welcome to the wonderful world of chalcidoid wasps! J. Noyes, London's Natural History Museum.
- Compendium of Pesticide Common Names
This resource contains the common names, IUPAC and Chemical Abstracts systematic names, molecular formulae, Registry Numbers and activity for well over 1000 pesticide active ingredients. This site is maintained by Alan Wood, Context Limited.
- Plant Pathology Internet Guide Book, University of Hanover
PPIGB is an internet resource guide for all aspects of plant pathology, applied entomology and related fields. It is intended as starting point for scientists, students and all who are interested in phytopathology to explore the internet. The compilation of websites in divided into thematic categories in which every Link is followed by a brief description of the content of the website. Updated weekly, extraordinary sites are marked as a TIP.
- World Health Organization, Division of Control of Tropical Diseases: Malaria, Chagas Disease, Leishmaniasis, Filariasis, Trypanosomiasis, African (Sleeping Sickness) Onchocerciasis (River Blindness).
- World Bank, Project Profiles On Agriculture & Rural Development
- BIOSYS - To facilitate understanding of the living world by helping researchers, educators, students and others to access information relevant to the life sciences. Index to Organism Names, ISI Web of Knowledge
- Council for Agricultural Science and Technology (CAST) is a nonprofit organization composed of scientific societies and many individual, student, company, nonprofit, and associate society members.CAST assembles, interprets, and communicates science-based information regionally, nationally, and internationally on food, fiber, agricultural, natural resource, and related societal and environmental issues to our stakeholders--legislators, regulators, policy makers, the media, the private sector, and the public.
- CropBiotech Update: A weekly summary of world developments in agri-biotech for developing countries, produced by the Global Knowledge Center on Crop Biotechnology, International Service for the Acquisition of Agri-biotech Applications SEAsiaCenter (ISAAA).
- Pesticide Action Network (PAN) Pesticide Database Web site, your one-stop location for current toxicity and regulatory information for pesticides, maintained by Pesticide Action Network North America (PANNA), Pesticide Action Network (PAN)
- The National Academy of Sciences is a private, non-profit, self-perpetuating society of distinguished scholars engaged in scientific and engineering research, dedicated to the furtherance of science and technology and to their use for the general welfare.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Science Online, This week's contents, Search back issues of Science, Science Now
- American Phytopathological Society, The premier international scientific organization devoted to the study of plant diseases and their control. APSnet, APSnet: Education Center, University Plant Pathology Programs
- Annual Reviews, Inc. A nonprofit scientific publisher of systematic, periodic examinations of scholarly advances in a number of fields of science through critical authoritative reviews: Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, Annual Review of Entomology, Annual Review of Resources and the Environment, Annual Review of Phytopathology, Annual Review of Plant Biology (formerly known as Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology).
- Entomological Society of America Promoting the science of entomology in all of its subdisciplines for the advancement of science and the benefit of society, North Central Branch, Pacific Branch, Southeastern Branch, and Southwestern Branch.
- Entomological Society of Ontario Beautifully maintained home page of the second oldest entomological society in North America.
- Michigan Entomological Society Home page of 600 member strong society of amateur and professional entomologists.
- Potato Association of America, The official professional society for potato research, extension, utilization and technical assistance. Descriptions of Potato Varieties
- Weed Science Society of America Handsome home pages of the WSSA, promoting the development of weed science and technology.
- UK Resiststant Weeds Action Group