Meet the Contributing Authors - Robert L. Meagher, Jr.
Robert L. Meagher, Jr.
Research Entomologist, USDA-ARS
Phone: (352) 374-5756
Dr. Meagher has been conducting research on integrated pest management, ecology, and behavior since obtaining his Ph.D. in 1985. He joined ARS in 1996.
Previously, Dr. Meagher was an Assistant Professor of sugarcane and citrus entomology at Texas A&M University, Texas Agricultural Experiment Station, Weslaco. Sugarcane research focused primarily on biological control and host plant resistance. Biological control efforts included release of exotic parasitoids, and evaluation and documentation of exotic and native parasitoids and predators. Plant resistance research documented larval antibiosis and adult and larval nonpreference, as well as variation in response of larval attack to sugarcane germplasm in field studies.
Dr. Meagher's research emphases in citrus were biological and chemical control studies against citrus blackfly (Aleurocanthus woglumi). The biological control research involved releases of parasitoids in residential dooryard properties and trailer parks, and evaluation of their establishment. In five years with Texas A&M, he was able to obtain nearly $1 million in grant monies as principal investigator or co-PI, and had authorship on 29 research articles.
Dr. Meagher received his Ph.D. from Penn State University, M.S. from Kansas State University, and B.S. from Shippensburg State College (University).
- Meagher, Jr., R. L., L. T. Wilson & R. S. Pfannenstiel. 1996. Sampling Eoreuma loftini (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) on Texas sugarcane. Environ. Entomol. 25: 7-16.
- Meagher, Jr., R. L., J. E. Irvine, R. G. Breene, R. S. Pfannenstiel & M. Gallo-Meagher. 1996. Resistance mechanisms of sugarcane to Mexican rice borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 89: (in press).
- Meagher, Jr., R. L., J. W. Smith, Jr. & K.J.R. Johnson. 1994. Insecticidal management of Eoreuma loftini (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) on Texas sugarcane: a critical review. J. Econ. Entomol. 87: 1332-1344.
- Meagher, Jr., R. L., S. W. Wilson, H. D. Blocker, R. W. Eckel & R. S. Pfannenstiel. 1993. Homoptera associated with sugarcane fields in Texas. Florida Entomol. 76: 508-514.
- Meagher, Jr., R. L., R. S. Pfannenstiel & R. R. Saldaña. 1992. Survey and estimated injury of the Mexican rice borer in Texas sugarcane. J. Am. Soc. Sugar Cane Technol. 12: 22-26.
- Breene, R. G., R. L. Meagher, Jr., D. A. Nordlund & Y. T. Wang. 1992. Biological control of Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) using Chrysoperla rufilabris (Neuroptera: Chrysopidae) in Texas greenhouses. Biological Control. 2: 9-14.