Meet the Contributing Authors - Tim J. Lysyk
Timothy (Tim) J. Lysyk
Research Scientist, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
5403 - 1 Avenue South
PO Box 3000
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4B1
Tim Lysyk is a research scientist at Agriculture Canada's Lethbridge Research Centre. He works in entomology studying the ecology of flies and ticks that affect cattle. Tim holds a B.Sc. in Zoology from the University of Alberta and has an M.S. in Entomology from South Dakota State University and a Ph.D. in Medical-Veterinary Entomology from North Carolina State University. In addition to his research, Tim has also taught courses in entomology and ecology at the University of Lethbridge. Tim was recently awarded the Entomological Society of Canada's prestigious C. Gordon Hewitt Award for outstanding achievement in entomology by a person under 40.
General areas of interest are population ecology, quantitative ecology and physiological ecology. Current areas of research include developing life tables and analyzing demographic statistics of parasitic wasps for biological control; studies of development, diapause, survival and reproduction of insects of veterinary importance; and development of sampling methods and population models for integrated pest management of insects affecting cattle. Particular emphasis is placed on the horn fly, house fly and stable fly. Recently, I have developed an interest in ticks and tick-paralysis have started a research program to examine this trait in Dermacentor andersoni.
- Lysyk, T.J. and D.D. Colwell. Duration of efficacy of diazinon ear tags and ivermectin pour-on for control of horn fly (Diptera: Muscidae). J. Econ. Entomol. In Press.
- Colwell, D.D., R. W. Baron, T.J. Lysyk. Influence of parasiticide treatment on kinetics of antigen-specific antibody response in cattle infested with Hypoderma lineatum (Diptera: Oestridae). Vet. Parasitol. In Press.
- Regniere, J. and T. J. Lysyk. 1995. Population Dynamics of the Spruce Budworm, Choristoneura fumiferana. Chap. 8, pages 95-105 in Forest Insect Pests in Canada. J. A. Armstrong and W.G.H. Ives, eds. Nat. Resour. Can., Can. For. Serv., Science and Sustainable Development Directorate. Ottawa, Ontario.
- Baron, R.W. and T.J. Lysyk. 1995. Antibody response in cattle infested with Haematobia irritans irritans (L.) (Diptera: Muscidae). J. Med. Entomol. 32: 630-635.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1995. Temperature and population density effects on feeding activity of Stomoxys calcitrans (Diptera: Muscidae) on cattle. J. Med. Entomol. 32: 508-514.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1995. Parasitoids (Hymenoptera: Pteromalidae, Ichneumonidae) of filth fly pupae (Diptera: Muscidae) pupae on dairies in Alberta. J. Econ. Entomol. 88: 659-665.
- Lysyk, T.J. and R.D. Moon. 1994. Sampling arthropods in livestock management systems. pp. 515 - 538 in: Pedigo, L. and D. Buntin (eds.) Handbook of sampling methods for arthropod pests in agriculture, CRC press, Boca Raton. Fla.
- Lysyk, T.J. and R.D. Moon. 1994. Diapause induction in the horn fly (Diptera: Muscidae). Can. Entomol. 126: 949 - 959.
- Krafsur, E.S., R.D. Moon and T.J. Lysyk. 1994. Age and reproductive success in stable fly populations. Can. Entomol. 126: 239 - 249.
- Lysyk, T.J. and E.S. Krafsur. 1993. Relationship between pterin accumulation and ovarian development in the stable fly, Stomoxys calcitrans (L.) (Diptera: Muscidae). Can. Entomol. 125: 869-879.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1993. Adult resting and larval developmental sites of stable flies and house flies (Diptera: Muscidae) on dairies in Alberta. J. Econ. Entomol. 86: 1746-1753.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1993. Seasonal abundance of stable flies and house flies (Diptera: Muscidae) in Alberta dairies. J. Med. Entomol. 30: 888-895.
- Lysyk, T. J. 1992. Simulating development of immature horn flies, Haematobia irritans irritans (L.) (Diptera: Muscidae) in Alberta. Can. Entomol. 124: 841-851.
- Lysyk, T. J. 1992. Effect of larval rearing temperature and maternal photoperiod on diapause in the horn fly (Haematobia irritans irritans (L)) (Diptera: Muscidae). Environ. Entomol. 21: 1134-1138.
- Lysyk, T.J. and G.B. Schaalje. 1992. Binomial sampling for pest management of stable flies (Diptera: Muscidae) that attack dairy cattle. J. Econ. Entomol. 85: 130 - 136.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1991. Use of life history parameters to improve a rearing method for horn fly, Haematobia irritans irritans (L.) (Diptera: Muscidae), on bovine hosts. Can. Entomol. 123: 1199-1207.
- Lysyk, T.J. 1991. Effects of temperature, food and sucrose feeding on longevity of the house fly. Environ. Entomol. 20: 1176-1180.
- Lysyk, T. J., D.D. Colwell and R.W. Baron. 1991. A model for estimating abundance of cattle grub (Diptera: Oestridae) from the proportion of uninfested cattle determined by serological diagnosis. Med. Vet. Entomol. 5: 253-258.