Meet the Contributing Authors - Melvin (Mel) R. Koelling
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 355-0096
Fax: (517) 432-1143
- PhD, Physiological Ecology, 1964, University of Missouri
- MS, Tree Physiology, 1961, University of Missouri
- BS, 1959, University of Missouri
Melvin R. Koelling's experience involved working with the Michigan Christmas tree industry in the conduct of educational programs, collection of production and marketing information and serving as an advisor to the Michigan Christmas Tree Association.
His research interest relates to species selection and use for Chrismas tree production. Presently he is involved with establishing and evaluating more than 30 species of true firs with respect to their suitability for Christmas tree production in the Lake States. He has written extensively on various apsects of Christmas Tree production and is a frequent speaker at state, regional and national Christmas Tree Association meetings. In addition to his professional repsonsibilities relate to Christmas tree production, he also owns and operates Tannenbaum Farms, a 100 acre commercial Christmas tree farm located in Mason, Michigan.
- Koelling, M. R., 1991. "Environmental Concerns and Christmas Tree Producers. Michigan Christmas Tree Journal 33(2):11, 17, 18, and 48.
- Koelling, M. R., 1992. "A Ten-Year Michigan Christmas Tree Grower Survey." American Christmas Tree Journal 36(3):19-25.
- Koelling, M. R., 1998. "Christmas Trees Do Not Cause Fires - Some Facts!", American Christmas Tree Journal, 42(4):4-21.
- Koelling, M. R., 2001. "Fertilization Recommendations For Fraser Fir - Part I: Before Planting", Michigan Christmas Tree Journal 48(4):5-9.
- Koelling, M. R., 2002. "Fertilization Recommendations For Fraser Fir - Part II: Established Plantings", Michigan Christmas Tree Journal, 49 (1): 5-8.