Meet the Contributing Authors - Ronald B, Hammond
Ronald B, Hammond
Professor, Ohio State University
120 Thorne Hall
Wooster, OH 44691
Ph.D, 1979, Iowa State University
Areas of Interest
My research interests are in the area of Integrated Pest Management, with emphasis on arthropods and other invertebrate pests in soybeans, although I have recently begun work in alfalfa. The focus of my program has been in three main areas.
- Along with plant breeders, I have been involved in breeding soybean lines resistant to insects. We have released three advanced soybean germplasm lines with high levels of resistance and moderate levels of yield. We continue to search for that elusive high-yielding, highly-resistant soybean line.
- I also focus much of my efforts towards examining invertebrate populations in soybeans grown using conservation tillage practices, especially no-tillage. To that end, I have conducted considerable research on seedcorn maggot in various systems, and more recently, have started to focus on slugs in field crops.
- The last area of research is with insect/crop/yield-loss relationships, where I am the lead investigator on a multi-state project examining the impact of varying the row widths on yield-loss relationships in soybeans. This is a follow-up study to other defoliation studies that our group has completed. Most of my non-work activities revolve around family, with kids' activities, bicycling, and pets.
- Hammond, R. B., and R. A. Byers. 2002. Agriolimacid and arionid as pests slugs in conservation tillage soybean and corn cropping in North America, pp. 301-314, In: Molluscs as Crop Pests. G. M. Barker, ed. CABI Publishing.
- Hammond, R. B. 2002. Strategy, pp. 802-804, In:Encyclopedia of Pest Management. D. Pimentel, ed. Marcel Dekker, Inc. Both print and web site available. http://www.dekker.com/servlet/product/productid/E-EPM for encyclopedia
- Eisley, J. B., and R. B. Hammond. 2007. Control of Insect Pests of Field Crops. OSUE. Bulletin 545-07. On-line edition only.
- Hammond, R. B. 2007. Caterpillars. In Handbook of Forage and Rangeland Insects. Lamp, W.O., R. Berberet, L. Higley, and C. Baird (eds.). Entomological Society of America, Lanham, MD, APS Press
- DiFonzo, C. D., and R. Hammond. 2008. Range expansion of western bean cutworm, Striacosta albicosta (Noctuidae), into Michigan and Ohio. Online. Crop Management doi:10.1094/CM-2008-05XX-01-BR.
- Hammond R., A. Michel, and B. Eisley. 2008. Insect Control. In Improving Wheat Profits in Ohio. OSUE Bulletin 938. Thomison, P., P. Lipps, R. Hammond, R. Mullen, and B. Eisley.