Meet the Contributing Authors - Larry D. Charlet
Larry D. Charlet
U. S. Department. of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service
USDA, ARS, Northern Crop Science Laboratory
Box 5677, University Station
1307 18th Street North
Fargo, North Dakota 58105-5677
Phone: (701) 239-1313
Fax (701) 239-1346
Dr. Larry Charlet has been a USDA-ARS Research Entomologist since 1978 with the Sunflower Research Unit at the Northern Crop Science Laboratory, Fargo, North Dakota and an Adjunct Professor, Department of Entomology, North Dakota State University. He conducts research on management systems for insect pests of sunflower in both the Central and Northern Plains including the sunflower stem weevil, Cylindrocopturus adspersus, the sunflower beetle, Zygogramma exclamationis, the banded sunflower moth, Cochylis hospes, the red sunflower seed weevil, Smicronyx fulvus, and the sunflower moth, Homeosoma electellum.
Research interests: the biology, population dynamics, and plant-insect interactions of the pest species; the evaluation of germplasm offering resistance to damage by the pest species and the mechanisms involved; identification of the natural enemies of the sunflower pests, their biology and impact as mortality factors; and investigation of the native sunflower species for host-plant resistance and new or potentially useful parasitoid species for introduction into cultivated sunflower.
- Charlet, L. D., G. J. Brewer, and B. Franzmann. 1997. Insect pests, pp. 183-261. In. A. A. Schneiter [ed.], Sunflower technology and production. Agron. Ser. 35. Am. Soc. Agron., Madison, WI.
- Charlet, L. D. 1999. Biological control of sunflower pests: searching for new parasitoids in native Helianthus - challenges, constraints, and potential, pp. 91-112. In L. D. Charlet and G. J. Brewer [eds.], Biological control of native or indigenous insect pests: challenges, constraints, and potential.Thomas Say Publications in Entomology, Entomol. Soc. Am., Lanham, MD.
- Knodel, J. J., L. D. Charlet, and P. A. Glogoza. 2000. Biology and pest management of the sunflower beetle in North Dakota. North Dakota State Univ. Ext. Serv. Bull. E-824. 8 p.
- Charlet, L. D. 2001. Biology and seasonal abundance of parasitoids of the banded sunflower moth (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) in sunflower. Biological Control20: 113-121.
- Charlet, L. D., D. Olson, & P. A. Glogoza. 2002. Biological control of insect and weed pests in North Dakota Agriculture. North Dakota State Univ. Coop. Ext. Serv. Bull. E-1225. 12p.
- Charlet, L. D., J. S. Armstrong, and G. L. Hein. 2002. Sunflower stem weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) and its larval parasitoids in the Central and Northern Plains of the USA. BioControl 47: 513-523.
- Charlet, L. D. 2002. Parasitization of the red sunflower seed weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) by its larval parasitoid, Triaspis aequoris (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) in cultivated sunflower. Environ. Entomol. 31: 844-851.
- Knodel, J. J. and L. D. Charlet. 2002. Biology and integrated pest management of the sunflower stem weevils in the Great Plains. North Dakota State Univ. Coop. Ext. Serv. Bull. E-821. 8 p.
- Nelson, D. R. and L. D. Charlet. 2003. Cuticular hydrocarbons of the sunflower beetle, Zygogramma exclamationis. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part B 135: 273-284.
- Foster, S. P., M. Noll, S. Grugel, and L. D. Charlet. 2003. A reinvestigation of the role of sunflower chemicals in host selection by female banded sunflower moth, Cochylis hospes (Walsingham) (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 76: 387-396.
- Charlet, L. D. and J. J. Knodel. 2003. Impact of planting date on sunflower beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) infestation, damage, and parasitism in cultivated sunflower. J. Econ. Entomol. 96: 706-713.
- Charlet, L. D. 2003. Incidence of sunflower beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) and parasitism of its larvae by Myiopharus macellus (Diptera: Tachinidae) in native sunflowers in North Dakota and Minnesota. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 76: 436-441.
- Charlet, L. D. 2003. Sunflower beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) oviposition, overwintering, and impact of cultivation on adult survival in cultivated sunflower. J. Agric. Urban Entomol. 19: 185-195.
- Foster, S. P., B. D. Morris, L. D. Charlet, T. Gross, and S. Grugel. 2003. Identification of the sex pheromone of Cochylis arthuri (Lepidoptera: Cochylidae). Can. Entomol. 135: 713-719.
- Brewer, G. J. and L. D. Charlet. 2004. Sunflower beetle (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae): pattern of larval distribution and parasitism in cultivated sunflower fields. J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 77: 21-25.