Jeffrey R. Bloomquist, Professor
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State
312B Price Hall
Blacksburg, VA 24061
- Ph.D.- Entomology, University of California, Riverside, 1984
- M.S.- Entomology, Mississippi State University, 1981
- B.S.- Entomology, Purdue University, 1978
- Graduate Courses: ENT 6154, "Insect Physiology"; ENT 6164, "Insecticide Toxicology"
- Graduate Guest Lectures: ENT 6354, "Insect Behavior"; VMS (Veterinary Medical Sciences) 5324, "General Neurochemistry"
- Undergraduate Guest Lectures: CHEM 4554, "Drug Chemistry"; VMS 3014, "Principles of Pharmacology".
Comparative neurotoxicology, with emphasis on the neurophysiological and biochemical mechanisms of insecticide, venom, and drug neurotoxicity.
Publications and Presentations
- J. Kou and J. R. Bloomquist. Neurotoxicity in Murine Striatal Dopaminergic Pathways Following Long-Term Application of Low Doses of Permethrin and MPTP. Toxicol. Lett. 171, 154-161 (2007).
- W. J. Geldenhuys, S. F. Malan, J. R. Bloomquist, and C. J. Van Der Schyf. Structure-Activity Relationships of Pentacycloundecylamines at the N-Methyl-D-Aspartic Acid Receptor. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 15(3), 1525-1532 (2007).
- R. J. Cordero, J. R. Bloomquist, and T. P. Kuhar. Susceptibility of Two Diamondback Moth Parasitoids, Diadegma insulare (Cresson) (Hymenoptera; Ichneumonidae) and Oomyzus sokolowskii (Kurdjumov) (Hymenoptera; Eulophidae), to Selected Commercial Insecticides. Biol. Control 42, 48–54 (2007).
- J. Kou, D. C. Klorig, and J. R. Bloomquist. Potentiating Effect of The ATP-Sensitive Potassium Channel Blocker Glibenclamide on Complex I Inhibitor Neurotoxicity In Vitro and In Vivo. NeuroToxicology 27, 826-834 (2006).
- R. J. Cordero, T. P. Kuhar, J. Speese III, R. R. Youngman, E. E. Lewis, J. R. Bloomquist, L. T. Kok, and A. D. Bratsch. Field Efficacy of Insecticides for Control of Lepidopteran Pests on Collards in Virginia. Plant Health Prog. On-line journal: http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/sub/php/research/2006/collard/ (2006).
- J. Kou, J. G. Gillette, and J. R. Bloomquist. Neurotoxicity in Striatal Dopaminergic Pathways Following Co-application of Permethrin, Chlorpyrifos, and MPTP. Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 85, 68-75 (2006).
- R. R. Youngman, J. R. Bloomquist, J. B. Hall, S. L. Paulson, and W. D. Whittier. Agricultural Animal Pest Control: A Guide for Livestock Managers in Virginia. Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station #456-215 (2006).
- W. J. Geldenhuys, S. F. Malan, J. R. Bloomquist, A. P. Marchand, and C. J. Van der Schyf. Pharmacology and Chemistry of Polycyclic Cage-derived Compounds. Medicinal Res. Rev . 25, 21-48 (2005).
- W. J. Geldenhuys, S. F. Malan, T. Murugesan, C. J. Van der Schyf, and J. R. Bloomquist. Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Pentacyclo[5.4.0.02,6.03,10.05,9]-undecane Derivatives as Potential Therapeutic Agents in Parkinson’s Disease. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 12, 1799-1806 (2004).
- J. S. Gillette and J. R. Bloomquist. Differential Up-Regulation of Striatal Dopamine Transporter and alpha-Synuclein by the Pyrethroid Insecticide Permethrin. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 192, 287-293 (2003).
Recent Invited Presentations (presenter underlined)
- J. Bloomquist. 2007. Cyclodiene-induced alterations in mammalian dopaminergic pathways as a possible cause of environmentally-induced Parkinsonism. Invited speaker, Agrochemicals Division International Award Symposium for Gerald Brooks, National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Chicago, Illinois.
- J. Bloomquist. 2007. Research into Control of the Malaria Mosquito, Anopheles gambiae, Using Novel Anticholinesterases. Dept. of Entomology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan.
- J. Bloomquist. 2007. Bivalent Anticholinesterases: New Chemistry for an Old Target. Dept. of Entomology, Cornell University, Ithaca and Geneva, New York.
- J. Bloomquist, P. Carlier, E. Wong, and S. Paulson. 2006. Novel anticholinesterases for control of the malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae. Vector-Borne Disease Research: The Road Ahead, October 13-15, 2006, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- J. R. Bloomquist. 2005. Molecular Design of Selective Anticholinesterases for Mosquito Control. Kick off meeting of the FNIH Grand Challenges in Global Health program, Seattle, WA. Bill and Melinda Gates attended this meeting, and all travel costs of the speakers and project collaborators was paid for by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- J. R. Bloomquist. 2005. Impact of Insecticide exposure in the MPTP-treated C57 mouse model of Parkinson's disease. University of Massachusetts, Department of Veterinary and Animal Science, Biomedicine and Biotechnology Program, Amherst, MA.
Recent Volunteered Presentations (presenter underlined)
- P. R. Carlier, J. R. Bloomquist, D. M. Wong, L. D. Williams, N. Deora, T. Anderson, S. Paulson, A. Wysinski, E. Wong, R. Choudury, M. Totrov, and P. Lam. 2007. Development of a mosquito-selective AChE inhibitor to control the malaria vector, Anopheles gambiae. Ninth International Meeting on Cholinesterase Biology, Suzhou, China.
- J. M. Mutunga, T. D. Anderson, and J. R. Bloomquist. 2007. Exploring the insect acetylcholinesterase (AChE) active site gorge: Toxicokinetic and AChE sequence analysis as prospects to molecular design of selective insecticides. Bioinformatics for Africa Conference and Workshop, Nairobi, Kenya.
- T. D. Anderson, D. C. Klorig, #D. Wong, P. R. Carlier, S. L. Paulson and J. R. Bloomquist. 2007. Biochemical and molecular characterization of bivalent anticholinesterases to the malarial mosquito. Poster, National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Chicago, Illinois.
- J. R. Bloomquist and D. R. Boina. 2006. Analogs of a Bacterial Stilbene as New Insecticides/Nematicides. Poster; 11TH IUPAC International Congress of Pesticide Chemistry, Kobe, Japan.
- J. R. Bloomquist, D. C. Klorig, D. Wong, and P. R. Carlier. 2006. Bivalent anticholinesterases as structural probes in the development of selective mosquitocides. Poster; 11TH IUPAC International Congress of Pesticide Chemistry, Kobe, Japan.
- J. R. Bloomquist and D. R. Boina. 2006. Blockers of Anion Transporters as Nematicidal Alternatives to Methyl Bromide. Symposium speaker; National Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Division of Agrochemicals, San Francisco, California.
- D. R. Boina and J. R. Bloomquist. 2006. Lethal and sublethal effects of anion transport blockers against larvae of European corn borer, Ostrinia nubilalis (Hubner). Poster, National Meeting of the Entomological Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- T. D. Anderson, D. C. Klorig, D. R. Boina, D. Wong, P. R. Carlier, S. L. Paulson and J. R. Bloomquist. 2006. Bivalent anticholinesterases as structural probes in the development of selective mosquitocides. Poster, National Meeting of the Entomological Society of America, Indianapolis, Indiana.
- J. Kou and J. R. Bloomquist. 2005. Potentiating Effect of the K+atp Channel Blocker Glibenclamide on the Neurotoxicity of Complex I Inhibitors. Poster, 22nd International Neurotoxicology Conference; Environment and Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
- W. J. Geldenhuys, D. C. Klorig, S. F. Malan, J. R. Bloomquist, and C. J. Van der Schyf. 2005. Pharmacological Evaluation of Adamantane Amines that Bind to the PCP and Not the MK-801 Binding Site in the N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) Receptor. Poster, National Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Washington, D.C.
- J. R. Bloomquist, E. Chow Clement, Y. Zhang, and P. R. Carlier. 2005. Synthesis and Pharmacology of New Dimeric Amides and ZAPA Analogs at the Murine GABAA Receptor-Chloride Channel Complex. Poster, National Meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, Washington, D.C.